Are Dental Implants Safe?
Having weak or missing teeth can negatively affect diet, digestion, and speech. Modern dental implants have been around for decades, and millions of people have trusted them. An estimated five million implants are installed annually, helping people regain their confidence and the function of their teeth. But are dental implants actually safe?
Are Dental Implants Safe?Yes, dental implants are a very safe and reliable procedure! Like all medical procedures, dental implants do pose a health risk, but the number of those that experience side effects is minuscule compared to the rate of successful implants. Only about five percent of those that receive dental implants experience any negative effects.
Benefits of Dental ImplantsDental Implants have many benefits that aren’t always experienced with other tooth replacement options. Some of these benefits include:
- Longevity – With proper oral care and regular checkups, dental implants can last decades.
- Natural Look – With the choice of ceramic and porcelain, Dr. Zacchino is able to match the color of the dental crown perfectly to the natural teeth so no one will even know you have an implant.
- Permanent Fit – The implant itself bonds to the bone, so it will never slip or feel loose. Even after decades of use and crown replacements, the implant should always be in its original place.
- Fully-Restored Mouth Function – Some tooth replacement options require removal to be cleaned and for eating. Not dental implants! They act as normal teeth and full functionality is achieved.
Do Dental Implants Hurt?Dental implants don’t hurt as much as you might think. When dental implants are installed, your dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the area. This way, you’ll barely feel anything! Most patients do experience some pain and discomfort after the anesthetic wears off. This usually only lasts a few days and can be dulled by the use of non-blood-thinning over-the-counter pain medicine like Tylenol. In rare cases, this pain lasts a couple of weeks, but should slowly diminish day by day. If severe pain lasts longer than 10 days, and over-the-counter pain medicine has no effect, call our emergency hotline at (732) 575-9440.
Are Dental Implants Safe for Diabetics?Getting a dental implant as a diabetic poses no more risk than it does to anyone else. Receiving dental implants often helps those with diabetes lead healthier lives by allowing them to easily chew and digest recommended foods.
Risks of Dental ImplantsWhile negative side effects are rare, there are still some to be aware of.
InfectionAs with any surgical procedure, there is always a risk of infection. There are several steps one can take to avoid an infection after a dental implant:
- Maintain good oral hygiene – Maintaining good oral hygiene is a great way to decrease the chances of an infection occurring.
- Avoid tobacco products – Another step that can be taken is to avoid any tobacco product until the area is completely healed.
Nerve DamageNerve damage resulting from a dental implant is uncommon, but it’s still a risk. Nerve damage is characterized by numbness, tingling, or sensitivity to the nearby oral area or chin. Sometimes this damage is permanent. It’s almost always a result of the implant being installed too deep.
Implant FailureIn some cases, dental implants can fail. This means the metal implant fails to bond properly with the jawbone, so it lacks necessary support. Dental implant failure is pretty rare, and is usually because the patient has serious bone loss. In these cases, a bone graft is necessary to increase bone density. At Coastal Dental, we conduct a thorough exam before recommending a specific dental restoration treatment. This way, we can recognize if a bone graft is needed.
Dental Implants in Point Pleasant, NJGet your confidence back! Dr. Zucchino is fully aware of the risks and side effects of dental implants, but has years of experience to safely restore your smile so you can lead a happy and healthy life. If you need a dental implant in the Point Pleasant area, give us a call or schedule an appointment online today!
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Zicchino provides a wide array of cosmetic dentistry services, including Invisalign® Clear Aligners, at his practice in Point Pleasant, NJ. He earned his dental degree from NYU Dental School and established Coastal Dental Group in 2004. For more information call (732) 714-1030 or to schedule an appointment!