Porcelain Veneers in Point Pleasant
Porcelain veneers are a great choice to improve your smile. If you have chipped, cracked, misaligned, or missing teeth, our porcelain veneers in Point Pleasant could be the best treatment option for you.
Porcelain veneers are used to change the appearance, color, and shape of your teeth, erasing any cosmetic dentistry imperfections that exist. It takes a skilled cosmetic dentist to accurately apply veneers and ensure they’re a perfect match for each patient’s smile. Dr. Zicchino is dedicated to enhancing the smiles of every single patient that walks through the doors of Coastal Dental. Learn more about porcelain veneers and if they’re right for you.
WHAT ARE PORCELAIN VENEERS?
Made out of a thin layer of porcelain, veneers are custom-made to fit your mouth and placed over your existing teeth to correct the appearance, alignment, and shape of your teeth. While porcelain veneers are commonly used to cover up chipped, missing, or cracked teeth, they can fix many other cosmetic dentistry issues, too.
The Process of Getting Porcelain Veneers
You’re going to love your smile after getting porcelain veneers, but it doesn’t happen overnight. The entire process takes a few different visits to our office:
- Planning your veneers – Your first visit is the planning phase. You’ll speak with Dr. Zicchino and our experienced dental staff about the results you’re looking for. We’ll examine your teeth to determine if porcelain veneers are the proper treatment option.
- Tooth Preparation – During your next visit, we’ll need to prepare your tooth (or teeth) for the veneers to be placed on them. This involves reshaping your tooth so that when the veneer is applied, it’s about the same thickness and size as your natural teeth would be. Once the teeth receiving veneers are reshaped, we’ll take an impression of your teeth. This impression is sent to a lab that creates your custom veneers.
- Bonding – The final phase is the bonding of veneers to your natural teeth. First, we’ll prep your teeth by thoroughly cleaning them and roughening them up so the veneer properly bonds. Then, we might have to cut down the veneer to make sure it fits, but once we find the perfect fit we’ll adhere the veneer to your tooth’s surface using special cement.
Pros & Cons of Porcelain Veneers
Dr. Zicchino can advise you about whether or not you’re a strong candidate for porcelain veneers, as well as address any questions or concerns you may have. Here are some common pros and cons of porcelain veneers you should be aware of the pros and cons before deciding.
Pros of Porcelain Veneers:
- They maintain the look of a natural smile
- They can dramatically change your smile, giving you a complete makeover
- More resistant to stains than other treatment options
- They can strengthen your teeth
- More durable than other cosmetic dentistry options: they last up to 15 years, compared to the seven years with composite veneers
Cons of Porcelain Veneers:
- Because of the preparation and cement bonding, they’re permanent
- It’s more expensive than other options, such as dental bonding
- They typically need to be replaced within 15 years
- Due to the preparation process of removing tooth enamel, you may experience sensitivity to hot and cold food and drink
Porcelain Veneer FAQs
Do Porcelain Veneers Look Like Regular Teeth?
Yes, porcelain veneers look like your natural, regular teeth! They’re a more natural-looking option compared to composite veneers and dental bonding. Your smile will look different than it did before, however, porcelain veneers are known for maintaining a natural appearance.
How Long Do Porcelain Veneers Last?
Porcelain veneers last up to fifteen years. At that point, you’ll need to get them replaced with a new set of porcelain veneers. This is the longest lasting option out of other cosmetic dentistry options, such as composite veneers which only last around seven years.
Do Porcelain Veneers Ruin Your Teeth?
While porcelain veneers won’t entirely ruin your teeth, the bonding process involves stripping the protective enamel layer from your teeth so the veneers strongly adhere to the surface. You’ll still have your normal teeth underneath each veneer, but they won’t be the same as they once were. This is one of the reasons why veneers are irreversible.
Are Porcelain Veneers Worth the Money?
Porcelain veneers are the most expensive option to fix imperfections with your smile, but they can be well worth it. They look the best compared to other cosmetic alternatives and we can work to shape them into a beautiful smile. You won’t have to do any special kind of maintenance with porcelain veneers, just floss and brush your teeth as you normally would!
Porcelain Veneers in Point Pleasant, NJ
Looking for a flawless smile? Coastal Dental takes pride in helping its patients gain confidence through cosmetic dentistry services.
Schedule an appointment or call us today at 732-714-1030 so we can determine if porcelain veneers are right for you.