Tooth Extraction in Point Pleasant, NJ
You might need a tooth extraction for a variety of different reasons. We provide tooth extractions in Point Pleasant whether you have an untreatable broken tooth, impacted wisdom teeth, or overcrowding.
Dr. Zicchino is passionate about the health and well being of his patients. We provide comfortable, safe, and quick tooth extraction.
Tooth Extraction Process
Removing one or two visible teeth is a simple procedure. It can get a bit more complicated when removing many teeth, or removing impacted teeth.
- Simple tooth extraction – to remove one or two teeth, we first apply a local anesthetic to numb your mouth. During the extraction, you’ll feel some pressure but not actual pain. Dr. Zicchino will loosen and remove the tooth.
- Surgical extraction – surgical tooth extractions sometimes require intravenous or general anesthesia, depending on the severity of the extraction. For surgical extractions, you’ll receive a numbing shot that feels like a pinch. The tooth, or teeth, are then surgically removed by making an incision and extracting all necessary teeth. Then, the extraction site is stitched back up. While procedure is more invasive than a simple tooth extraction, the numbing medicine helps with pain.
Dos and Don’ts After Tooth Extraction
- Apply ice packs – use ice packs to reduce swelling within 24 hours of your tooth extraction — this is when it’s most beneficial to use them. It might not seem like there’s a need for it immediately after your extraction, but it’s best to get ahead of the swelling.
- Take it easy – While you might feel normal, it’s important to rest for 24-48 hours. Avoid physical activity and try not to bend over too much to keep the blood from rushing to your head.
- Let clots form – blood clots are an important part of your healing process, so it’s important to let them form naturally. Our dental team might tell you to bite down on gauze every hour or so post-extraction to help the blood clot form. Without the blood clot, your extraction site is exposed to food and drink, which can lead to an infection.
- Use a straw – drinking with a straw could affect the blood clots that are forming. Drink soft drinks, such as smoothies and milkshakes, straight from the cup to avoid using a straw
- Eat hard, spicy, or hot foods – Don’t eat anything like hard vegetables or crunchy potato chips. It’s also important to avoid food with seeds in it, spicy food, or hot food and drink. Start by eating mostly liquid and soft food, such as soup, yogurt, and mashed potatoes.
- Smoke – Certain chemicals in tobacco smoke can affect blood clotting, so it’s important to stop smoking for at least 48 hours after a tooth extraction.
- Touch your extraction site – the extraction site will probably feel a little weird at first, but avoid touching it with your tongue or fingers. If you touch it, it could affect the blood clot forming.
Tooth Extraction FAQs
How Long Does it Take to Recover from a Tooth Extraction?
Our dental team will provide specific recovery instructions for you but, in general, you should take it easy for a few days after an extraction. This includes limiting physical and sticking to soft foods. After a few days, you’re able to return to normal activity and the extraction site should heal within four weeks.
Does Tooth Extraction Hurt?
It can be painful to get a tooth pulled, but you’ll be given local anesthesia for the procedure so you don’t feel the pain. Post-extraction, you can manage pain using over-the-counter medication or pain medication prescribed by your doctor.
How Long is the Recovery Process?
The recovery process from tooth extraction is usually pretty quick, but can differ depending on the reason for your procedure. Impact tooth extraction typically only requires a few days of healing, whereas recovery from multiple tooth extractions can take longer. Read through our post-operative care page to learn more about our top suggestions. Also, don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions or concerns!
Tooth Extraction in Point Pleasant, NJ
Think you might be in need of a tooth extraction? Our dentist in Point Pleasant wants to make the entire process as comfortable as possible. Schedule an appointment or give us a call at 732-314-1030 today.