Quick & Comfortable Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment doesn’t have to be as scary as it’s made out to be. With over 15 years of experience, Dr. Zicchino makes this process as quick and comfortable as possible. Learn more about what root canal treatment is and how the procedure works.
What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatment is a procedure that involves cleaning and repairing the root canal of a tooth. Without this treatment, a decayed or damaged tooth could lead to a serious bone infection.
Each tooth has a hollow space within its roots called a “root canal”. Inside this root canal is the pulp, which consists of nerves, soft tissue, and blood vessels. This pulp can become infected if your tooth breaks, which exposes it to bacteria, or due to tooth decay. When this happens, it’s necessary for an experienced dentist to remove the pulp, clean out the tooth, and fill the root canal so the root canal is protected against bacteria and infections.
Without root canal treatment, you risk losing the tooth entirely due to infection.
How Do I Know If I Need Root Canal Treatment?
In some cases, the need for a root canal is obvious. If you have a cracked tooth or deep cavities, Dr. Zicchino may recommend a root canal treatment.
There are additional symptoms, such as:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures
- Consistent pain
- Difficult and pain while chewing
- Darkened gums
Is Root Canal Treatment Painful?
While root canal treatment is generally considered a more painful dental procedure, our dental team does everything we can to make the experience as pain-free as possible.
You’ll be given local anesthesia so the area receiving the treatment is completely numb. Similar to other dental procedures, such as tooth extraction or dental implants, you shouldn’t feel much pain during the treatment itself. You’ll likely experience some slight discomfort and soreness afterward.
What is Involved in a Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatments are not as scary as they’re made out to be! Just like any other special dentistry treatment, the process is quick, efficient, and as painless as possible. Plus, it alleviates any pain or discomfort you might be experiencing from an infected root canal.
Here’s how root canal treatment works:
- Removal of dental pulp – First, we’ll give you a local anesthetic and remove the dental pulp from the root canal of the affected tooth. This ensures any infected pulp won’t cause additional bone infections or further tooth decay.
- Cleaning the root canal – Once the dental pulp is removed, we’ll thoroughly clean the root canal and flush it out with a sanitizing solution. This clears the root canal of any leftover infected pulp, preparing it to be filled.
- Filling and sealing the root canal – depending on the extent of your infection, we may need to apply medication and let the tooth drain for a few days. If this isn’t necessary for your root canal treatment, we’ll fill it and seal it during your appointment!
- Tooth restoration – After the root canal treatment is completed, you’ll likely need additional restoration work to replace your natural tooth. We usually recommend a dental crown, which helps to protect your tooth and restore function. Dr. Zicchino will work with you to determine the best treatment for your situation!
How Long Do Root Canals Last?
If treated properly, root canals can last your entire lifetime! That is, as long as you complete the full recommended treatment.
Sometimes, patients will receive the root canal treatment but don’t get the recommended crown or filling. These additional restorative dentistry procedures are necessary to protect your root canal and restore your tooth’s strength and function. Without the additional crown or filling, your tooth will be more vulnerable to infections, decay, and damage.
Root Canal Treatment in Point Pleasant, NJ
If you’re suffering from the symptoms mentioned above and believe you may need root canal treatment, book an appointment or call our office today! Our experienced dental team will help determine the best treatment option for you.