How Do Dental Implants Work?
How Do Dental Implants Work?Dental implants have two main functioning parts: the implant itself and the crown. The actual implant is a threaded metal rod that fixes into the bone. The crown, which is what replaces the tooth, is then permanently attached.
What You Can Expect with the Dental Implant Procedure
- Evaluation – A thorough dental evaluation and x-rays are done. This process ensures no unforeseen problems will arise during the installation process or later down the road.
- Implant Installation – The metal implant is installed into the bone. The procedure uses local anesthesia, so it’s relatively painless! We’ll place a temporary cap over the implant to allow time for healing, and for the patient’s bone to fuse to the implant. This process can take several months, as we want to make sure everything is healing properly before placing the permanent crown.
- Crown Placement – When the bone and implant successfully bond, a crown is fixed to the implant to restore normal function, and your beautiful smile!
Additional Procedures That Might Be NeededThe following procedures aren’t necessary for all dental implant cases. However, depending on the reasons you need implants and the health of your existing teeth, gums, and bone, they might be required before a dental implant can be placed.
- Tooth Extraction – Tooth extraction is only necessary if the dental implant is taking the place of a damaged tooth.
- Bone Graft – Bone grafts aren’t always required, but are sometimes needed if you’re getting a dental implant as a result of losing teeth to periodontal disease. If you don’t have enough strong bone left in your jaw for the implant to be rooted to, you’ll either need a bone graft or a removable option, such as dentures or a dental bridge.
Can You Get Dental Implants With Bone Loss?Yes, you can get dental implants if you suffer from bone loss. Many of those who get dental implants have experienced at least a slight amount of bone loss. If it is excessive, a bone graft can be done to allow the implant to be supported.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?Because the installation process for dental implants varies from person to person, it’s hard to give a definitive price. Preliminary work will generally drive up the cost. This includes procedures such as bone grafts, soft tissue grafts, tooth extraction, and even tooth shaping.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?With proper care, including regular checkups and good oral hygiene, patients can expect their dental implant(s) to last 20 or more years. To get the maximum life out of your implants, it’s crucial to follow the proper care instructions given by Dr. Zicchino.
Dental Implants vs DenturesWhen you’re considering tooth replacement options, you’ll want to take longevity into account. Dental implants are the most permanent solution. Dentures and dental bridges are also great tooth replacement options, but they aren’t as permanent and typically require more upkeep. Many patients have lifestyles that don’t work with removable tooth replacement options such as bridges or dentures. Dr. Zicchino almost always uses materials for the crown portion of the implant that seamlessly blend with the natural teeth to give his patients of Point Pleasant, NJ smiles they want to show off.
Dental Implants Point Pleasant, NJWe want to make sure all of our patients have smiles they love! If you’re missing teeth and want to restore your smile, you may be a candidate for dental implants. Call our office in Point Pleasant to make an appointment today!
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Zicchino provides a wide array of cosmetic dentistry services, including Invisalign® Clear Aligners, at his practice in Point Pleasant, NJ. He earned his dental degree from NYU Dental School and established Coastal Dental Group in 2004. For more information call (732) 714-1030 or to schedule an appointment!