How Old Do You Have to Be to Get Invisalign®?
Is There an Age Limit to Invisalign®?No, there is no age limit for Invisalign® treatment! Whether you’re 15 or 65, you could be a candidate for Invisalign®. Teeth alignment methods have been proven to work better and faster in patients under 18. This is because their jawbones are still developing, which results in them being more malleable. Despite children’s teeth being able to be straightened easier, Dr. Zicchino has helped plenty of Point Pleasant, NJ adults achieve more confident smiles.
Minimum Age to Get Invisalign®While there is no defined minimum age to use Invisalign®, they can be used in patients as young as six years old! There are a few different versions they’ve created to target specific age groups:
- Invisalign® First – their newest aligners were designed for children ages 6 to 10 to fix simple and complex issues with teeth straightening. The catch is the patient has to be responsible enough to wear it as directed and take care of it.
- Invisalign® Teen – Invisalign® teen is perfect for teens and tweens ready to discreetly straighten their teeth. Each set of trays comes with blue indicator dots that fade over time so your dentist can tell if the trays are being worn properly. It also includes six replacement trays, since it’s common for some to break or get lost.
- Invisalign® – The original Invisalign® is perfect for adults looking to straighten their smiles!
Does Invisalign® Have an Age Limit?Invisalign® doesn’t have a cutoff age, but older patients tend to have dental issues that prevent them from being suitable candidates. Some common problems that may restrict someone from benefiting from Invisalign® are:
- Low Bone Density
- Periodontal Issues
- Enamel Loss
- Missing Teeth
4 Reasons to Get Invisalign®Almost 12.5 million people have trusted Invisalign® to help them achieve their dream smile. Here are four reasons so many have turned to Invisalign® to straighten their teeth.
- Faster Than Braces This 2019 study in the U.S. National Library of Medicine looked at 706 people to see if Invisalign® corrects teeth faster than braces. They concluded that, for patients that needed minor correction, Invisalign® did work quicker.
- More Comfortable Than Braces Invisalign® trays feel much more natural than braces, so the aligners take much less time to get used to. Besides a quicker adjustment period, aligners almost always cause less discomfort than braces. Most patients get new aligning trays two-to-six times more often than someone would get their braces adjusted. Because Invisalign® moves the teeth in gradual increments, less force is needed. On the other hand, braces apply a lot more force by comparison and cause significant discomfort. Plus, there aren’t any metal wires or brackets irritating the inside of your mouth.
- Nobody Can Tell You’re Wearing Them As long as you properly clean your Invisalign® trays, they will be nearly invisible. While they are slightly visible at close range, their appearance is drastically more discreet than even ceramic braces.
- It’s Easy to Keep Your Teeth Clean With braces, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to properly clean your teeth and the braces themselves. It’s very easy for food to get stuck in your braces, you have to watch what you eat, and it’s very difficult to floss underneath them. Since you can remove Invisalign® trays entirely, Invisalign® makes cleaning your teeth and the appliances much easier.
Invisalign® Treatment in Point Pleasant, NJNo matter how old you are, now’s the time to get the smile you’ve always wanted with Invisalign®. Call us or schedule an appointment online to find out if Invisalign® is right for you.
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Zicchino provides a wide array of cosmetic dentistry services, including Invisalign® Clear Aligners, at his practice in Point Pleasant, NJ. He earned his dental degree from NYU Dental School and established Coastal Dental Group in 2004. For more information call (732) 714-1030 or to schedule an appointment!